Save $$$, Quit Today or Don’t Start!
Refer to the chart below to see how much you could save by not smoking! (Money saved based on average 2015 NYS cigarette prices.)
Quitting Smoking is SMART!!
- WITHIN 20 MINUTES: Your blood pressure and pulse rate return to normal.
- WITHIN 8 HOURS: The Level of oxygen in your blood rises to normal.
- IN 24 HOURS: Your risk of heart attack starts to drop.
- IN 2 DAYS: Your sense of smell and taste improve.
- IN 3 DAYS: Breathing gets easier and lung capacity increases.
- WITHIN 2 WEEKS TO 3 MONTHS: Your circulation gets better.
- WITHIN 1 TO 9 MONTHS: Coughing, sinus problems and shortness of breath decrease and you have more energy.
Immediate Benefits of Quitting
- Hair, clothing and breath won’t smell
- You’ll have enough money for things other than cigarettes.
- Your complexion will improve.
- You won’t have to leave restaurants, parties and people’s houses to smoke.
Alternatives to Smoking
- Keep your hands busy with crossword puzzles, crafts, doing repairs. Take a walk, write letters, try new recipes, garden. Chew gum or eat a low-calorie snack. While watching TV, keep prepared vegetables on hand as a substitute for a cigarette.
- For long trips, take a long low-calorie foods, such as apples, oranges, carrots and celery. Suck on cloves, cinnamon sticks or ginger. Get out of the car often and stretch. Take a smoke-free friend along.
- In social situations, avoid alcohol, coffee and other drinks you associate with smoking. Sip slowly on a glass of ice water with lemon, nonalcoholic punch, or a spiced drink. Socialize with nonsmokers at parties.
- After meals, leave the table; save dessert and beverages for later on. Brush your teeth right after eating to reinforce the fresh taste in your mouth. Or substitute a mint or sugarless gum. Then take a short walk after dinner.
- When under stress, sit down, close your eyes, take 10 deep breaths and hold the last one while lighting a match. Exhale slowly and blow out the match. Pretend it’s a cigarette and crush it in the ashtray. Then call a friend who knows you’ve quit and share your feelings.
- When the urge to smoke is intense try the 4-Ds: (1) Delay – wait a few minutes, (2) Deep breathing – take 4 deep breaths, (3) Drink cold water or juice – the carbohydrate energy in juice helps replace nicotine’s stimulating effect, (4) Do something else.
- Break the old habits by visiting places where smoking is prohibited. Enjoy healthy physical activities, such as swimming and walking. Discard all cigarettes and matches. Have your teeth professionally cleaned. Dry-clean your clothes. Air out your home. Clean your car.