WE ARE FREE TO BREATHE!
Albany Housing Authority is Going Smoke-Free as of JANUARY 1ST, 2016.
To insure the quality of air and the safety of residents in its housing programs, Albany Housing Authority has decided that all residential properties will be smoke free as of January 1, 2016.
- Smoking will not be permitted indoors, including in the apartments.
- Smoking will be permitted outside in designated areas, or more than twenty-five (25) feet away from buildings if there are no designated areas.
A smoke FREE policy in all Albany Housing Authority buildings means that everyone who visits, lives or works in Albany Housing Authority buildings is FREE to breath cleaner, safer, healthier air.
Why is Albany Housing Authority going smoke-free?
It’s Cleaner! Smoking in units leaves a residue that is both highly toxic and difficult to clean. This residue contains chemicals that can produce similar effects to lead poisoning.
It’s Safer! Smoking is the leading cause of residential fire deaths and injuries. Almost 1,000 people die every year in smoking-related fires, half are residents in multiunit housing.
It’s Healthier! Secondhand smoke travels between units and poses a serious health threat to children and adults. Exposure to secondhand smoke can:
- Harm lung development in children and cause Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
- Cause heart disease and lung cancer in nonsmokers
- Lead to more coughs, wheezing, ear infections, bronchitis or pneumonia
- Trigger more frequent and severe asthma attacks
What about smokers?
Smokers are free to enjoy their home but must smoke outside and away from buildings.
A Healthy Living Partnership Of: